The following conditions are some of the most common treated by a pulmonologist. A pulmonologist can offer expert care for many other related medical problems. If you need care for a condition not listed here, please call (708) 660-INFO (4636) to find a doctor who can help you. For entry into our pulmonary rehabilitation program, please call (708) 660-LUNG (5864).
- Asthma: Inflammation of the airways of the lungs.
- Chronic bronchitis: Inflammation of the bronchial tubes carrying air to and from the lungs.
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD): A lung disease that can affect a person’s ability to breathe.
- Dyspnea (shortness of breath): Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath.
- Lung cancer: A disease that usually begins in the cells that line the bronchi.
- Pneumonia: Occurs when an infection — usually from bacteria or viruses — inflames the air sacs in the lungs.
- Pulmonary fibrosis: A disease in which tissue in the lungs becomes thick and stiff, or scarred, over time.
- Sarcoidosis: A disease that leads to inflammation in the lymph nodes and/or organs.
- Tuberculosis (TB): A contagious bacterial disease that most often affects the lungs.