The following tests and treatments are some of the most common offered by specialists in wound healing. These wound care specialists offer many other advanced tests and treatments for a wide range of medical problems. If you have questions about specific tests or treatments not listed here, please call (708) 660-INFO (4636) to find a doctor that can help you.
- Weekly debridement: Removal of slough, fibrin or dead tissue which inhibits wound healing.
- Use of a wide range of dressing types including: Alginates, collagens, foams, hyrofibers.
- Skin substitutes: Bioengineered skin with temporary or permanent dermal covering to replace skin than has been lost or damaged due to chronic wound(s).
- Medications: Antibiotics, pain relievers, enzymatic debriders.
- Skin grafts: Skin surgically transplanted from one area to another.
- Negative pressure wound therapy (NPWT): Commonly called a wound vac, this therapy uses vacuum assistance to draw out fluid and increase blood flow through the wound.
- Ancillary tests: Labs, x-rays, wound cultures, vascular studies ordered to aid diagnosis and wound healing